The BEST green smoothie recipe is right here… I promise!
Leafy greens to use in a smoothie
The essence of a green smoothie is fruit and leafy greens. Leafy greens can range from spinach, kale, chard, bok choy, etc. The health benefits of adding leafy greens to your smoothie is that it adds extra phytonutrients and fiber, slowing down the absorption of sugars into your body.
My favorite greens are baby spinach because it’s mild in taste and still allows all the fruit to shine. It’s also easy to find all year round and affordable.
How to make a green smoothie
All you need to make a tasty green smoothie is a blender, fruit and leafy greens. The right ratio of leafy greens to fruit makes it sweet as you reap all the health benefits of a green smoothie. The key is to use recipes that actually taste good and follow my simple tips below.
Blend 1 cup of spinach, or another leafy greens of your choice, in a blender. Add 1 cup of liquid and blend well (until all leafy chunks are gone).Toss in fruit, such as frozen mango, pineapple and bananas in the blender.Next, blend again until smooth and creamy.Serve smoothie immediately for maximum nourishment.
Are smoothies really good for you?
Smoothies are typically made with fruit and water (or a dairy base), which is high in sugar and can cause inflammation. A green smoothie, on the other hand, is made with fruit, water and leafy greens. A green smoothie can taste just as good as a regular smoothie, yet the health results are MUCH better for you.
- 1 cup spinach (fresh)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup pineapple*
- 1/2 cup mango*
- 1 banana (peeled)
- Tightly pack spinach in a measuring cup.
- Add spinach to blender with water. Blend together until all chunks are gone. (Should resemble green water when blended well).
- Add pineapple, mango and banana to blender. I like to use frozen pineapple and mangos to chill the smoothie down and save time cutting and prepping. It’s a win-win!
- Blend all together until smooth and creamy. Depending on your blender, this could take as little as 30 seconds or as long as 2 minutes.
- Pour into a glass and serve immediately.
- You can also store the smoothie in the fridge with a lid until ready to drink.