This Vegan Berry Banana Split is good for you and tastes delicious too! It’s a fresh, healthy vegan take on a classic ice cream sundae.
When I was writing my second book, Simple Green Meals, I wanted to make sure we included a section on plant-based desserts. As it turned out, we had too many good ideas and had to cut out some decadent recipes. This yummy Vegan Berry Banana Split is one that didn’t make the final cut, sadly. However, that’s okay, because now it’s available here on the SGS blog. Woohoo!I’m a firm believer in dessert, and not just as a reward or a treat-yo-self kind of thing. There’s not much wrong with enjoying food that tastes good! For that reason, I decided to make a plant-based version of a classic dessert: the Banana Split.
This vegan ice cream sundae uses dairy-free coconut ice cream, preferably naturally sweetened if you can find it, fresh fruit, a sprinkle of cacao nibs, and cinnamon. That’s it! It’s probably one of the easiest desserts to put together, too, and chances are you’ve probably got most (if not all) of the ingredients in your kitchen already!You’ll love the taste of sweet, fresh fruit combined with the creamy coconut ice cream, and you won’t miss the sugar. (Usually from corn syrup-laden sauces and toppings).
- 1 large firm-ripe banana
- 3 small scoops non-dairy ice cream (e.g. coconut milk ice cream, cashew milk ice cream)
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Cacao nibs, for sprinkling
- Ground cinnamon, for sprinkling
- Peel and halve the banana lengthwise.
- Place in a shallow serving bowl or sundae dish so the banana halves open like a book.
- Place ice cream scoops down the center of the banana.
- Top with fresh berries. Sprinkle cacao nibs and cinnamon on top. Serve immediately.